I ate spicy food in Thailand was from a street vendor. She actually had a menu for me to look at which was very helpfull. Being a vegetarian and all, I find that looking at what the vendors are selling for food usually consists of fish heads of various species, a menu only in Thai, and other hanging forms of various meat products. Some know what vegetarian means, others pretend they do, and the kind ones politely say no at which point you respond kop-dee-ka. So I was stoked for this precious find. And holy ape's balls it was spicy.
The markets in Bangkok are really wild. They connect off of the streets and appear to be sidewalks that dissapear into darkness. Once inside, it is a labrynth of vendors underneath gigantic overhangs that are put together to protect the products and workers from the rain. It is possible to find just about anything in these places. And they go on for days in twists and turns while cyclists are buzzing past you (remember, we're talking about sidewalks) on scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds. People are everywhere buying fresh vegetables, underwear, butcher knives, and live eels in this pandemonium of a street fair. And this shit happens every single day. They are not out there only on certain days or at certain times. It's all the time from sun up until about 2:00am. There is enough going on to spend a few days just aimlessly wandering through, having your mind blown with how crazy the difference in cultures can be.
I have been in Bangkok for a couple days. I am flying solo since Brent and Kinsey missed thier flight from Tokyo, but they are scheduled to get here tonight. I am staying at a rad place called The Shanti Lodge and no, they do not use toilet paper. It was a bit awkward at first but now I think I like it. I came about an inch away from an accident in the cab from the airport to where I am now. I met some of the locals and other drifters last night (Friday Oct. 17th) named Dang, Yono, Adrienne, Shanoon, and a crazy man named Willy who is obviously Thai but tried to convince everyone that he was from Chicago with a sister in D.C. and another sister who is Swedish. We drank a lot of beer on the sidewalk in front of The Shanti Art Gallery (where Dang and Shanoon have displays up) while playing hand drums, laughing a whole lot, acting a bunch of damned fools, and enjoying the night. Everyone really enjoyed my sans microphone karaoke with Djembe performance of "You Give Love A Bad Name". It was the time and a half.
Today, before and after the spicy food I spent time in Thailands National Library. There is a display of various different kinds of Rama masks from the years which was gorgeous...by the way, all the wats and architecture around here is fucking amazing. It's like being in your very favorite decorated Asian food restaraunt only it's for realzzie yo...and the National Music Library as well is in the same fortress of buildings. It is pretty amazing. Well, I guess that's it for now.
peace and puppies
The markets in Bangkok are really wild. They connect off of the streets and appear to be sidewalks that dissapear into darkness. Once inside, it is a labrynth of vendors underneath gigantic overhangs that are put together to protect the products and workers from the rain. It is possible to find just about anything in these places. And they go on for days in twists and turns while cyclists are buzzing past you (remember, we're talking about sidewalks) on scooters, motorcycles, and mopeds. People are everywhere buying fresh vegetables, underwear, butcher knives, and live eels in this pandemonium of a street fair. And this shit happens every single day. They are not out there only on certain days or at certain times. It's all the time from sun up until about 2:00am. There is enough going on to spend a few days just aimlessly wandering through, having your mind blown with how crazy the difference in cultures can be.
I have been in Bangkok for a couple days. I am flying solo since Brent and Kinsey missed thier flight from Tokyo, but they are scheduled to get here tonight. I am staying at a rad place called The Shanti Lodge and no, they do not use toilet paper. It was a bit awkward at first but now I think I like it. I came about an inch away from an accident in the cab from the airport to where I am now. I met some of the locals and other drifters last night (Friday Oct. 17th) named Dang, Yono, Adrienne, Shanoon, and a crazy man named Willy who is obviously Thai but tried to convince everyone that he was from Chicago with a sister in D.C. and another sister who is Swedish. We drank a lot of beer on the sidewalk in front of The Shanti Art Gallery (where Dang and Shanoon have displays up) while playing hand drums, laughing a whole lot, acting a bunch of damned fools, and enjoying the night. Everyone really enjoyed my sans microphone karaoke with Djembe performance of "You Give Love A Bad Name". It was the time and a half.
Today, before and after the spicy food I spent time in Thailands National Library. There is a display of various different kinds of Rama masks from the years which was gorgeous...by the way, all the wats and architecture around here is fucking amazing. It's like being in your very favorite decorated Asian food restaraunt only it's for realzzie yo...and the National Music Library as well is in the same fortress of buildings. It is pretty amazing. Well, I guess that's it for now.
peace and puppies
1 comment:
Jessica says "Hello"...same with Dad and I...we want to remind you to be careful who you do what with while you're there...it's good to trust, but be discerning and careful! WE LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment